- acronym of:
Cleaning In Place
Procedure for automated cleaning of process engineering equipment. The definition and aims of CIP can be described as follows:Creating clean interior surfaces in production plants without significant modification of the fixtures required for production runs.
- Depending on the water pressure during cleaning a distinction is made between low-pressure cleaning (up to 10 bar) and high-pressure cleaning (25-65 bar).
- Full wetting of all interior surfaces by the cleaning agents
- No spray shadows in containers
- No air bubbles in valves, pumps, piping, connecting pieces, gaskets and cross-section widening pieces of any type
- No inaccessible dead spaces
- Avoidance of difficult to wet surfaces, e.g. narrow slots in gaskets, flanges, vessel nozzles
- Full drainability of the system